If you are a guitar building and guitar playing enthusiast, all you need to make your own perfect guitar are two main things, the band saw and a drill press. There are a few other appliances involved too but they are in my opinion just a luxury. So, guitar building problem can be solved by the use of just 2 things that I have mentioned above. Honestly speaking, if I had to choose one tool, I would go for a band saw because it helps in handling multiple tasks, like sawing, cutting, carving, etc.
However, this doesn’t mean that you should leave out the rest of the appliances that can ultimately assist you in designing your guitar. Especially, if you are a professional luthier, and you can spend some more, you must buy other equipment too such as joiners and planers because they’ll save your time and sweat.
Functions of a Band Saw
- Every 14″ band saw would be suitable to the guitar creation mission, as the wood used in guitar building is fairly tiny.
- If you are scheduling to refine your individual stock and re-carving over 5” of chunkiness, slightly a tad heftier is necessary.
- A usual 14” band saw can re-saw as good as about 5” in bulk.
- For shaping broader stock, you require force, at best 3 HP.
- The 14” band saws normally arrive with 1HP.
- With a 3HP band saw with the correct blade, organized correctly, clipping 12” wide stash would not be problematic.
- This is very useful once obtaining wood in as logs, boards or flitches, since it will allow you to saw for full produce, whereas receiving the preferred piece and results.
Drill Press 16”-17”
- A fine working and affordable vertical drill press is the next requirement in guitar building. Even though a counter best model will accomplish supreme jobs in addition to a standing model, the additional throat penetration, stroke dimension, and height alteration are crucial on occasions. The rate variance is marginal, once you consider all the profits you are going to receive.
- The throat penetration on a band saw is one half of the volume. Hence, a 14” drill press has a throat access of 7.”
- For guitar edifice, a gorge profundity of no less than 8” is suggested. If you need to drill close to the center of your workspace, a 16” or 17” version will labor purely well.
- A drill press is multipurpose. It can be expended on metal along with wood, and might similarly be managed as a simple duty drum sander by means of a platen fixed in the barb.
- Scraping slanted on a drill press had better only be the very last option. The appliance is not aimed to see to this.
- If you are working your drill press to smooth, elude planting any abrupt pressure on the barb of a band saw, because this would finally end in certain juddering in the barb.
- This will cause holes, which are not the wished-for thing, and furthermore it decreases the operative energy of the drill press.
- A drill press is one and only the paramount assets you can attain. It is comparatively cheap and a fitting one will continue for generations.
Aside these 2 major necessities, you can invest in the following equipment to make things easier.
- Table Saw
- Cross Cut Box
- Joiners and Planers
- Drum Sanders
- Disc and Belt Sanders
- Oscillating Spindle Sanders
- Shapers and Router Tables